Alongside the Guiding Principles and Code of Ethics below, we have created a core set of Community Agreements to
provide a safe and brave space where each member feels empowered to
share their truths.
The Children’s Music Network recognizes children's music as a powerful means of encouraging cooperation, celebrating diversity, and equity for people in marginalized communities, building self-esteem, promoting respect and responsibility for our environment, practicing non-violence and advocating for social justice. This amplifies an effort towards creating an environment of inclusion.
We are united in the hope that all children are able to live their best lives and fulfill their dreams. By sharing our resources we seek to connect children with opportunities to make a difference in their own lives and in the world.
Code of Ethics
The following Code of Ethics guides our interactions with our fellow CMN members and the children with whom we engage:
- We believe in universal rights for all, maintaining the highest level of respect and consideration for every person and the world we live in.
- We recognize that as individuals committed to improving the lives of children through music, we have a responsibility to do our part to ensure that the world is a just and better place for generations to come.
- We stand as an Anti-Racist and Anti-Bias organization that commits to dismantling White Supremacy and oppression of marginalized communities.
Equity and Accessibility
- We are committed to providing a positive and enriching experience for everyone, regardless of age, caste, citizenship, disability, education, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, immigration status, neurodiversity, physical appearance, nationality, race, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation and socio-economic status.
- We commit to providing accessible spaces, resources and opportunities for all of our members.
Diversity & Belonging
- We believe every person has the inherent ability to be a music maker. All individuals deserve the benefit of music in their lives.
- We welcome all musical styles and levels of musical training: artistic professionals, amateurs, experts and beginners, and bring them together to share resources, ask and answer questions, and offer and receive support.
- We make space and listen to those of marginalized communities, without expecting them to speak for their community or to educate others.
- We are committed to educating ourselves about diversity, equity and inclusion, understanding that this work is a continual process that takes time, energy and resources. We will support CMN’s community efforts towards education, and meeting people where they are at, in an effort towards shared connection.
- We disavow racism, homophobia, sexism, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, ageism, classism and ableism.
- We condemn and have zero tolerance for hate speech and any action that attempts to silence, threaten, and marginalize any person or group.
- We are committed to the safety and well-being of every person, acknowledging that the world is often not a safe place for people in historically marginalized communities.
- The safety of children is paramount in all we do, and we are especially mindful of appropriate personal and professional boundaries and respect for all children.
- We accept that sometimes even with the best of intentions, our words and/or actions can hurt others. We will commit to continued learning towards efforts that match intention and impact. We acknowledge that at times, the best intentions may cause harmful impact and will work to address those behaviors that some refer to as microaggressions as individuals and a community.
Actions Of Care
Being mindful of these guiding principles, the following is our Code of Care for our fellow CMN members and participants in CMN activities:
- We empower our members to share openly and honestly by creating a safe, brave space for listening, sharing and adhering to our Community Agreements.
- We come with a learner’s heart and are open to giving and receiving feedback.
- We welcome everyone to share their excitement about accomplishments such as new recordings or awards, at the same time encouraging a noncompetitive atmosphere that honors the love of music-making among all of us.
- We use inclusive language and respect our members’ and participants' chosen identities and pronouns.
- We are committed to transparency and honesty to ensure that all members and participants are treated with care and consideration. In addition, we commit to maintaining privacy and confidentiality of our members.
- We are respectful of providing equitable time in taking space (talking) and making space (listening).
- We acknowledge the value of the contributions of others.
- When sharing the work of another, we always cite the source of the work respecting the intellectual/artistic property of others.
- We acknowledge harm and take steps toward repair when we have made a mistake.
- We acknowledge that discussions of sensitive topics can create discomfort. We stay engaged, expect and accept non-closure and acknowledge multiple truths.
FREE TRAININGS AND SUPPORTS:
Pronouns and LGBTQ+ Supports:
Cultural Humility vs. Cultural Competency Framework:
Updated January, 2023